4/17/2022

Everything Everywhere All at Once


 


I must admit when the pandemic started two years ago and all the theaters were shut down for a long time I kind of lost interest in movies for a while. The theater was always a great way of connecting me to a movie more than I actually thought. Just being there, with nothing else to focus on but the screen and everything that's happening on it makes it so much easier for me to actually fully take in a film. Now that things have been back to normal at the movies for a while, it's been slowly coming back to me. I feel like I've just been waiting for that one movie to really amaze me and remind me why I love films so much and why I even started writing reviews about them in the first place. Well... I think I might have found the one. 


"Everything Everywhere All at Once" is insane. I don't know how else to describe this movie honestly. When I first saw a preview of this movie, I knew I had to watch it as soon as possible. The trailer was eye-catching and my curiosity was maxed out. I still wasn't really prepared for what I ended up seeing on the big screen a few days ago. Everything about this movie felt unexpected, even after watching the trailer, I wasn't prepared for the chaos. 


The story of the movie follows the Wang family, who run a laundromat that is struggling to stay afloat. Evelyn Wang (Michelle Yeoh) is trying her best to deal with her quirky husband (Ke Huy Quan) while also struggling to connect with her young adult daughter (Stephanie Hsu). While her family and business are on the verge of falling apart, Evelyn is pulled into an even bigger problem, one that could destroy the entire universe... universes really. It just so happens that Evelyn Wang has a special power that can stop the biggest threat the multiverse has ever faced. She can travel through all her different lives in all the multiverses in order to learn the different skills her other selves have mastered.  Sounds totally easy to follow right?


Look, if you go see this movie you should know it's pretty freaking insane. Everything makes sense as explained in the movie, but it's all still really insane. That's what makes this movie so amazing though because it knows exactly how insane it is, but it really makes it work in ways you have to see. It makes you think "well it can't get any weirder than that probably", and then it definitely gets weirder than that. The movie is really funny because of that, but surprisingly, even with all the absurd over-the-top humor, the movie still manages to make you feel strong emotions for the family involved in the story. This is because of not only the strong performances by the cast but the actual storytelling and how everything connects to each other. Along with all the great visual gags and fun action scenes, you still get a lot of heartfelt moments that really hit and that's what really pushes this movie from good to great.


I don't really want to give much away, because I think this movie is best experienced not knowing too much outside of the basic premise. "Everything Everywhere All at Once" is truly one of the most unique movies I've seen in a while. One that reminds me of why I love films so much, is because of how it uses the medium to tell their story. While I'll always be a fan of the big blockbusters and comic books movies, these are the kind of films that really get me excited about going to the theater again, I want to experience more things like this. Films that tell unique stories in unique ways. 


Overall Grade: A 


I hope more people give this a chance. Just know that you're going into a very strange, but very funny world.

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment