1/23/2018

Oscar 2018 Nominations

As the biggest award show for film draws near, we finally got the nominations list for the 2018 Oscars. Some surprises here and of course lots of films most people knew would be on nominated. Here I'll look at the more important ones and try to guess which ones will be winning and which ones I would like to see win personally. Even though these awards aren't as important as they are made to look, it's still fun to watch and pick the winners. If you want to see the full list on the official site and follow along with me, CLICK HERE

LEADING ACTOR:
Most of these choices seem like the ones that were going to be on here, with one big exception. Daniel Kaluuya being nominated for "Get Out" is a really nice surprise, and one that deserves to be on this list. Even though it isn't as much as a surprise, it's also really nice to see the young actor Timothee Chamalet nominated for his amazing performance in "Call Me By Your Name".

Who I think will win: It's tough to say here, because all of these are actually really great performances. There's a chance that it will be given to Daniel Day-Lewis just because it's also his last performance ever, but I think it will go to Gary Oldman for his portrayal of Winston Churchill. The academy seems to love these kind of performances, where an actor transforms himself into a historical figure. 

Who I want to win: I would like to see the young Timothee Chamalet get the award. His performance in "Call Me By Your Name" was so unique and emotional, that even being surrounded by other great performances, he stood out as the best in the movie. I think the odds of him actually winning are low, but I'm glad he got nominated at the very least.

SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Honestly this one is one of the tougher ones to pick my favorite in because they were all amazing in different ways... well except Christopher Plummer maybe. 

Who I think will win: Like I said, very tough. On one hand I can totally see them giving it to Willem Dafoe, because his perfomance in "The Florida Project" was unlike anything he's really ever done. I could also see Sam Rockwell winning because of his portrayal of the racist cop in "Three Billboards" and how he still somehow was able to portray himself as a redeemable character after all of the racist and stupid things he does in the film. I think Rockwell will take it this time.

Who I want to win: I honestly wouldn't mind any of these actors winning (except Plummer), but if I had to pick one I would probably go with Willem Dafoe. His performance in "The Florida Project" was one of my favorites of all last year, and seeing him play a more normal and friendly guy was really great. (Since he usually plays more villains/creepy characters)

LEADING ACTRESS: 
Meryl Streep gets another nomination because she's Meryl Streep. The rest of the nominations are all great and varied performances that I really enjoyed, making it hard to even really pick just one who I would like to see win. 

Who I think will win: Meryl Streep of course, no just kidding. I think this is Frances McDormand's year to win the big Oscar. While it's hard to compare these performances because they were all amazing in very different ways, I think McDormand's was just more powerful, emotional and spoke to more modern problems in the USA. 

Who I want to win: Honestly with the exception of Streep, I would love to see any of these woman win, they all totally deserve it. I loved all of the movies represented here and would feel happy to see any of these win. If I had to pick one though, i'd stay with Frances McDormand because out of all of the movies that one was my favorite overall. Also note that Meryl Streep was great in "The Post", but I don't think it was as great as all the other nominations here.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
This is another really good list, full of performances I loved. Honestly the only one I can't say for sure is "Mudbound" because I haven't seen it yet, but I will soon. 

Who I think will win: I both want and think that Allison Janney will win this year, she stole every scene that she was in in "I, Tonya" as Tonya Harding's mother. Close second would be Laurie Metcalf in "Lady Bird" who was also stole some scenes in the movie. 

ANIMATED FILM:
It's Coco. I mean what else could it be? Boss Baby? No way. Ferdinand? No way. Coco is literally the only choice here. I am sad to see that Lego Batman didn't even get nominated as it was a really good animated movie that tackled the Batman world in a unique way. Also sad that "Your Name" wasn't nominated as I would have picked to to win over "Coco", but I guess since it came out in 2016 in Japan it doesn't count? Then why wasn't it nominated last year? I don't get it.

CINEMATOGRAPHY:
It's disappointing to see that Blade Runner was only nominated for technical awards and not anything else. That being said, Blade Runner deserves and should win this award at the very least, with the legendary Roger Deakins behind it. 

COSTUME DESIGN:
How weird would it be if a movie about a dressmaker (Phantom Thread) didn't win best costume design.

DIRECTING: 
It's amazing to see Jordan Peele on the list for best director. Even though I don't think he will win it, it's still a very nice surprise.

Who I think will win: These are all good choices, but I think Chris Nolan will get his award here for directing. I'm sure Dunkirk won't be winning Best Picture so at least it will get this, Nolan DID do a really good job directing this movie after all.

Who I want to win: Jordan Peele, how could it now be Peele? He made such a unique and crazy awesome movie last year that people would not stop talking about. It was scary, funny, bizarre and had a good message behind it all. 

DOCUMENTARY:
Icarus

SHORT DOCUMENTARY:
EDITH  + EDDIE 

EDITING:
Dunkirk

FOREIGN FILM:
A Fantastic Woman

MAKEUP:
Darkest Hour

MUSIC:
Shape of Water

ORIGINAL SONG:
Remember Me - Coco

BEST PICTURE:
Here it is, the big one. All nine movies are great, so I recommend seeing them if you haven't yet. Picking one of these though, will be tough. The obvious choice might be "The Darkest Hour" because it's based on a true story and follows the life of Winston Churchill. I don't think I want to go with the obvious choice here though...

Who I think will win: I'm going with "Three Billboards" on this one, because of all of it's great performances, great cinematography, a subject that is very topical and possibly controversial, and just an overall pretty flawless film. 

Who I want to win: I would be happy to see "Three Billboards" win, but I think I would be just as happy if "Call Me by Your Name", "Shape of Water", "Lady Bird" or "Get Out" won. Overall it's just a great year for movies and these nine picks are all really good choices. Really the only surprise was that "I, Tonya" wasn't included in the best picture category, I think it deserved it (even if it didn't win).

PRODUCTION:
Blade Runner 2049

SHORT FILM ANIMATED:
(Please not Kobe Bryant)

SHORT FILM:
The Silent Child

SOUND EDITING:
Blade Runner 2049

SOUND MIXING:
Dunkirk

VISUAL EFFECTS:
War for the Planet of the Apes

WRITING ADAPTED:
So uhm... Logan got an Oscar nomination? While I hope with all my heart that Logan could win this, it probably won't.
my choice: Call Me By Your Name

WRITING ORIGINAL:
Three Billboards

And those are all my uneducated guesses as to who will win this year at the Oscars! Hope you enjoyed it even just a little bit. 








Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment