1/07/2017

Top 10 Movies of 2016

Top 10 Movies: 2016



2016 was a strange year for movies. Lots and lots of disappointments this year, but still a lot of good movies out there and even some great surprises. To me, this year was all about the indie movie. While big budget movies and sequels just seemed to disappoint and not bring anything new to the table, indie studios were making more unique movies. Before I get to the Top 10 in my opinion, here are some movies I liked, but didn't quite make it to the Top 10.

Zootopia: Another great animated movies to add to Disney's already huge library of fantastic animation. A great message for kids and adults, with lovable characters.

The Boy and the Beast: An anime movie translated to English this year, a very enjoyable story of a boy who is trained by a beast as they grow a special bond. Very well animated and fun characters you grow to love.

Everybody Wants Some!!: A nice throwback to 80's comedies full of memorable annoying, but lovable characters. Check it out if you love 80's comedies like Caddyshack, Police Academy and Fast Times.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople: A very unique and very funny movie that wasn't really seen by many people around here.

Fantastic Beasts: A good start to the new series of films based on Harry Potter. Lovable characters and a very unique protagonist.

The Lobster: The weirdest movie I saw in 2016, but also the most intriguing. Very interesting concept with lots of very bizarre moments that will make you laugh.

Also there are lots of movies I am going to watch now in 2017 that I missed last year, so it's possible that maybe one of those movies I missed may have been in my Top 10 list.

10.  Star Trek Beyond:


 I was worried about this one at first, with J.J Abrams not directing and instead Justin Lin of Fast and Furious fame taking it on. Still this movie was a lot of fun with great action with the characters I've grown to love over the last two movies. Everyone does a good job together and there's always great chemistry between all the cast. In a summer full of disappointing movies, this one stood out as a really enjoyable fun watch. Also some great little moments to honor the great Leonard Nimoy and the 50th anniversary of Star Trek. I look forward to what else could possible come from this series of movies, hopefully another sequel will be coming because I want more adventures with these characters.

9. Edge of Seventeen


I wasn't expecting to love this movie going into it, but it really took me by surprise. It was a really relatable story with great characters, really funny moments and touching moments. It's great to see a movie like this that can speak to the younger generation in a realistic way that doesn't feel like it was just written by adults to pander to younger audiences. The dialog feels real and the characters feel real enough as well.

8. 10 Cloverfield Lane


The first Cloverfield movie was a good movie, but i'm very glad they got rid of the Found Footage style for this one. Really the only problem with this movie was the fact that it has the name Cloverfield attached to it, since it kind of got rid of the surprise at the end of the movie. Still this movie had great suspense, always kept you wondering what was really going on, and the acting was really good. It will be interesting to see where this franchise will be going next and what kind of movie it will be. Hopefully Mary Elizabeth Winstead will be back, because she was really great in this movie.

7.  Deadpool


After making Deadpool one of the worst things in the X-men movies in Wolverine Origins, we finally get the Deadpool everyone wanted. Thanks to Ryan Reynolds and his hilarious deliveries and the constant 4th wall breaking that works well because of the amazing writing in this movie. Even though the other X-men movie released this year was very disappointing, this one lived up to all the hype, and I think even surpassed any expectation I had going into it. We need more Deadpool, and thankfully because of how good this one was, we will be getting more.

6. Captain America: Civil War



While DC Universe movies seem to be struggling to catch up with all the work marvel has done, Marvel just keeps getting better every year. Everything in this movie just worked so well, from the friendship of Cap and Bucky to the crazy airport fight scene. I was glad that even though it was a movie with a lot of the marvel characters fighting each other it still focuses on Captain America and doesn't put him in second place in his own movie. Also can't forget the great introduction to the new spider-man, which was done perfectly. It doesn't look like Marvel is slowing down anytime soon, and next year looks to be an even bigger year.

5. The Nice Guys 


Another movie that came out of nowhere and caught me by surprise. This year felt a little light of great comedies (especially ones from big studios) and this one came out during the dull period right before summer, so it's weird that it didn't get more attention than it got. This was the best comedy that I saw this year, nothing else made me laugh as much as this movie. Ryan Gosling was so great in this movie, and his expressions along with his physical comedy were on point the whole time. The chemistry between Gosling and Crowe was amazing, and they worked so well together in this movie. Angourie Rice, who played Gosling's daughter in the movie, was also really funny in this movie and gets me more excited about the Spider-man movie next year as she will be a part of it. I really hope to see more of these characters in the future in a sequel.

4. Sing Street


I love this movie. I love the original music in this movie. I love the cast in this movie. I love everything about this movie. There was a lot of talent involved in this movie, from the cast that actually played the instruments and sang to the ones in the back who wrote all the songs. Not only was the music really well done, but all the kids were great at acting too. I loved the relationship between the main character and his brother. It all just worked so well, and made this really charming movie with music that will get stuck in your head (in a good way) for days.

3. Kubo and the Two Strings


Animation will always have a special place in my heart thanks to Disney, Pixar, Studio Ghibli. This year though, it wasn't any of those studios that made my favorite animated film, but instead it was Laika animation. This movie felt like exactly what I needed to see in animation. A more serious movie with really unique animation that looks extremely beautiful. You can see the hard work that went into this movie in every shot, everything is amazingly detailed. The story isn't afraid to do something different in a kids movie by going a little darker in certain areas, but still having a really good message for kids and adults both.

2. La La Land:


 I didn't think it could get better than this movie in 2016, but it was beaten last minute. Still this movie was such a pleasure to watch. From the brilliant soundtrack to the great acting and cinematography. The great use of music in the movie and the homage to old Hollywood classic films worked so well. The great chemistry between Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling and the great performances in singing and dancing were so great to watch. I'm not really big on musicals, but this movie was one of the best I've seen all year, which is why it's all the way up here on the list. Director Damien Chazelle is so great at making these movies centered around music. I eagerly await his next project.

1. Manchester By The Sea 


Just. Wow. This was actually the last movie I saw in the year 2016 and i'd never thought that it would also end of being my favorite of the year. While I was watching it I really didn't want it to end, I was enjoying myself so much watching this movie. It's a very beautiful movie to look at, the cinematography is really well done. The settings of Manchester and Boston are so beautiful to look at in the movie. The acting is so amazing in this movie too, there are some scenes in the movie that just left me feeling speechless. One scene in particular between Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams was one of the most touching scenes I've seen in a really long time. I don't want to spoil a single thing about this, everyone should give this a watch and experience it. It's not the happiest of movies, but it has some really powerful moments. In my opinion, nothing this year in movies affected me like this movie did.

That's my list at the moment. It could always change in time, and I see more movies that I missed. Still I loved all of these movies, and I hope that you can take the time to see them.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment