2/26/2017

Oscars 2017


OSCAR PREDICTIONS

http://oscar.go.com/nominees


Best Picture

Who I WANT to win: All the nominees this year are all great choices for the most part, though some good movies might be missing. I don't think it will be disappointing to see any of these win, but I still hope for Manchester By The Sea to take it since it was my favorite out of all of them and if La La Land wins like it probably will, I'll be just as happy.

Who I think WILL win: Seems like all signs are pointing strongly to La La Land winning this one. It's the obvious choice, but I think I would want to take a risk and go with the film Moonlight to take this one for this year. I'd rather have the more happy and musical La La Land win, but I just feel like the academy will go for the more serious and important movie over the fun Hollywood movie. I'm probably wrong here, but it's worth a risk. 

Best Lead Actor

Who I WANT to win: I really hope Casey Affleck wins the Oscar here, I really loved watching him in Manchester and thought it was a really fantastic performance. On the other hand, Viggo Mortensen is another choice that I would be really happy to see win, as his role in Captain Fantastic came out of nowhere and it was also... fantastic. 

Who I think WILL win: This one feels tough, but I think I can rule out Gosling from winning. I'm sticking with the favorite for this category and picking Affleck to win. 

Best Lead Actress

Who I Want to win: How surprising to see another nomination for Meryl Streep, she never gets those. This year I think is Emma Stone's year and not only do I want her to win, but I think she will be the one to take it this year. Though I might just be saying that because I haven't seen any of the other movies in this category, Emma Stone was really great in La La Land and was the best part of that movie.

Best Supporting Actor

Who I Want to win:  Mahershala Ali seems to be the standout here for me and I would really like him to win. 

Who I Think WILL win: Mahershala Ali will take it home for Moonlight, it's possible that Jeff Bridges might sneak up and win, but i'm sticking with Ali.

Best Supporting Actress

Who I want and Who WILL win: I really think that Michelle Williams' performance in Manchester By the Sea was the best out of all of these, even though all of them were great. She's my pick to win it and I also want her to win cause she was powerful in what little time she spent in the film.

Animated 

Who I want to win: I was surprised to not see Finding Dory nominated this year, but I think it's the right choice. There were far better movies and most of these are worthy of being on this list. I would have liked The Boy and the Beast to be here over The Red Turtle, but I think it doesn't matter in the long run because this fight is between Zootoia and Kubo. Of course I loved both, but I have to cheer on Kubo as it was my favorite of the year in animation. 

Who I think WILL win: I'm going to go with my heart and choose Kubo, as the animation and storytelling felt very unique and mature. Even though Zootopia has a better chance with it's more topical message, I still think Kubo will somehow win. Please win.

Director

For this one, it's pretty simple... I want and I think Damien Chazelle will win for La La Land. The only other choice I think could take it is Barry Jenkins for moonlight. It could go either way really - but i'm sticking with La La Land because of the Hollywood story and the performances and music. 

The Other Awards

Going into the more backstage awards I'll just put my winner prediction,

Cinematography: Moonlight

Costume Design: La La Land

Documentary: 13th

Short Documentary: Extremis

Editing: Moonlight

Foreign: Man Called Ove

Makeup: Man Called Ove (I hope)

Music: La La Land 

Original Song: Audition w/ Emma Stone

Production Design: La La Land

Short Animated: Piper

Short Live Action: La Femme

Sound Edit: Arrival

Sound Mix: La La Land

Visual Effects: Doctor Strange

Writing: Fences

Writing Original: Manchester By The Sea



So those are my predictions for this year, and I'm sure most will be wrong BUT it's fun to take a guess and see where it goes. Either way, lots of great movies nominated this year (except Deadpool for some reason) and I'll have fun watching these be given out. 
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment